World AIDS day

India Today Media Institute

Written by: Mohammad Asim

According to the Hiv.gov website 36.7million  people are currently  living with HIV-AIDS, 2.1 million are children below 15 years old, an estimated  1.8 million people worldwide became newly infected with HIV in 2016 – about 5,000 new infections per day. It includes 160,000 children below 15 years. Most of these children are from sub-Saharan Africa and they were infected by their HIV-positive mothers during pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding. There are only 60% of people with HIV who know their status of illness, and the rest 40% (over 14 million people) still need to know about the access of HIV testing .In 2016 approximately 1 million people died due to AIDS-related disease.

India Today Media Institute
Image Courtesy: BMC.org

According to the  latest information National AIDS Control Organisation data, India has  57 percent less patient  in estimated annual new HIV infections (among adult population) from 0.274 million in 2000 to 0.116 million in 2011, 2.08 million number of people living with HIV in 2011. In 2015 1.96 new human immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infections have been found. 6lakh death rate has increased in 10 years from 2005-2015,around 8 lakh deaths in 2005 to 12 lakh deaths in 2015, a new report in the journal The Lancet HIV has said. The Indian government’s official statistics said 21.17 lakh people are living with HIV, in 2015 the number of new infections is 86,000. The main route of this deadly disease is unprotected sex in heterosexual.

In India, many Government and Non-Governmental Organisations are working to help the HIV patients and to educate the people about this disease. They have achieved a remarkable success in this initiative. The rate has declined in males and females at the National level.

References- The Lancet Journal, National AIDS Control Organisation & HIV.org. 

About the Author: Mohammad Asim is a trainee journalist in India Today Media Institute.

Edited by: Shubhrika Bahadur Satyawakta

Published by: Shubhrika Bahadur Satyawakta


DISCLAIMER-Any views or opinions represented in this blog belong solely to the writer and do not represent those of people, institutions or organisations that the owner may or may not be associated with in professional or personal capacity, unless explicitly stated.
Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organisation, company or an individual. All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following
any link on this site.